Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Follow Your Passions

I'm used to sketch all the time when I little. My younger brother was my drawing partner. I remember saying that I just, "needed to draw. " I'll admit that I was an addict by the time I was seven years old. Doodling on paper whenever I was given the opportunity. I remember dad saying once that if I could just draw anywhere but his farm receipts, he would really appreciate it.

Our folks would take us to the art supply store and let us pick out something new - a Indian ink pen, special drawing paper or a white eraser. Then when we got home, my mom would often sit with us and draw for hours at the kitchen table. I loved that she took the time to draw with us; to share our skills and learn from each other. Isn't that what it's all about?

When I was 10 years old I entered one of those drawing contests. You know the kind of contest in the back of a magazine where you had to duplicate the cartoon and send it in? I think the contest was actually promoting an art school. Never mind what it promoted, I was set. Pencil in hand; I perfectly reproduced the pirate "Skippy." No problem. Sealed it up and sent it in. Six weeks later I received a check in the mail. I had won $25. I was so excited. We were taken out to buy more art supplies with my winnings.

High school came and discussions about my career goals began. I had an appointment with my guidance counselor to talk about the career direction I wanted to follow. He asked me what I was interested in. I said I wanted to to do something creative. I wanted to be an artist. He said, "I should choose something I could make a living doing - like my older sister who was studying accounting. Now, there's where the money is." A little taken back and perhaps a little deflated, I went home that day and told my mom about our conversation. She said I could be anything I wanted to be and to not let the counselor discourage me. "Follow your passion and your work will never be work," she said to me.

Mom's advise has been ringing in my ear lately. "Follow your passions." With technology and computers, I've gotten away from my fine art side. Sketching has been replaced by other hobbies such as gardening and photography. It's no longer a craving of mine...something I need to do to make the day complete.

This flood of happy childhood memories rushed in when I found a 50 sheet pad of drawing paper on sale at Target last week. It was like I was seven again, back in the art supply store. Excited to go home and try out the new paper.

Wow! I'm rusty. Oh so rusty. And it doesn't come easy. But I'm giving it a whorl - following my passion.

4 comments:

  1. Nice story, Chris, and what great advice you got from your mom!

    David in San Antonio

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! thats a great picture! I can only draw stick people :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris--love your story and love that you are getting back into drawing! Be sure to bring all your child-like wonder and enthusiasm and you will have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I'm still trying to find my passion, I think we must have had the same guidance counselor????

    ReplyDelete