Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Grateful

The day started off good. I slept in a bit - wasn't feeling great but had an appointment with the good doctor. Time for the yearly trip that I've managed to put off so figured I could hit two birds with one stone. My doctor whom I really liked, moved on - so I picked a random one the group. A female - I'm picky about that. I've had two bad experiences with male doctors - one of which I actually walked out of the office. I've stuck to females and have found them to be more compassionate and better listeners. Big surprise there. So, I signed up for the adventure with someone new - yet female. What the heck, she'll only be seeing everything and what better way to meet someone for the first time. Ha.

I get to the doctor's office in plenty of time to fill out the "What's New with Your Body This Year" form. I came prepared and had jotted down some landmark events - 2000 Lumpectomy - yeah, noncancerous! 2003 Coccyx Removal - good times, 2003 Bilateral Pulmonary Embolism - this one gave me pause. All around, a healthy year 2008-09. I'm happy and grateful for good health over the last year.

I met the new doctor - er, really just a P.A. What do you call them? They aren't doctors - so do you call them by their first name? Or Ms. Smith? Mame seems rather formal but we are in the south so that's respectful. She was younger than me. Or at least I thought she was. I'm not good with judging people's ages anymore. After 30 everyone looks tired and a little wrinkled. I called her by her first name. She called me by mine so I guess that makes it ok.

The girl thingy exam thing - which I never really thought was a big deal went as expected. Did you know they are recommending it every two to three years now for us married folks? And cholesterol checks with blood work only every three years? Seems like eye exams and mammograms are the only fun annual physical things I have to look forward too. Ha.

Oh, did I mention that I couldn't find my insurance card? My "Get to see the doctor card for only $20" card. Do not pass go. Do not collect 100 dollars. Yes, when I checked in at the front desk, I could not find that darn thing anywhere in my wallet. It's gone. Since I've been so healthy this year, I can't even remember where I last had it. Sometimes I carry it with my license in my pocket when I need to travel light - without a purse. Oh how I hate purses but that's another blog.

The receptionist is a good friend of mine. She and I became friends in 2004 when I was visiting the doctor's office weekly - sometimes several times a week to check my INR when I was on coumadin. Well, we really aren't friends but she did recognize me so I did get a hall pass in to see the doctor - er I mean P.A. - without my insurance card. Apparently, it's like a club, if you spend so much money there, you get certain privileges - like SAM'S.

After my exam, I merrily went on my way. Thought I'd stop by Walmart to get my prescription on my way into work. Looking forward to feeling 100% myself and loving the beautiful day we were having. I get to Walmart. They rung the prescription up.

"Two hundred and fifty six dollars."
"Whhhhaaatttt?" I said.
"You don't have insurance," the woman behind the counter said.
"I have insurance."
"Great. We'll just need you insurance card."
"I can't find it. It's probably at home. But I've gotten prescriptions here before. You don't have it on file."
"No." Then the blank stare.
"I have to go home and find it?"
Blank stare.
"Really? You can't just look me up?"
Blank stare.

I leave. Go home. An hour and half later, I'm still sorting through the piles of paper in the file cabinet. Where the heck is that thing? Why isn't it in my wallet? I'm not one to lose stuff and generally, I'm great at finding things. Where is that stupid card? I call our helpful benefits person at work. No answer. I leave a message. I remember that the HR people are often scattered about and not always near a phone but usually near a computer. I email her. Within 30 minutes, our benefits person calls me back with my group number. I grab my stuff and head back into Walmart. Trip two.

The pharmacy person (person in the pharmacy - I don't think she was a pharmacist), calls in my number to verify. Turns out I'm golden but my date of birth is wrong. It was wrong a year ago. I thought that was straightened out but apparently not. Ugh. I'm starting to get a headache. Well, I guess that's not the end of the world. I'm asked to move over to the "pickup line" area.

I step over to wait in the other line. There's only one in front of me. I'm thinking that 1pm must be a good time to pick up medicine because after work the lines are usually so long.

"Next."

I step up. Spell my last name. It's a common last name but spelled many different ways. I say my first name, and give them my date of birth.

She says, "45 dollars please."

"Sounds better." I said. And I briefly think of the people who don't have insurance and wonder how they get by.

I pay for the prescription and leave. I get in the car and begin driving. At a stoplight, I rip open the pharmacy bag and look at the medicine. Wait. Snap, this isn't my medicine. It's for someone named "Linda." UGH!!!! My head throbs some more.

I pull over look at the pills more carefully. Nope. Definitely not mine. Turn around and head back to Walmart. Trip three.

I didn't get into work. It was frustrating day and driving was probably not a good idea. My head hurt. My back hurt. I was going home to sit in the gazebo. Pat the dogs and cat and say a little prayer for the people who have no insurance. Grateful to have insurance even though it can be frustrating sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment