Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What a FInd

I really love it when people let their guard down and are themselves. No worries about trying to impress. No doubts over if what you say or do is politically correct. Most people, in the work environment at least, aren't themselves. There's some unwritten rule that in order to advance you need to wiggle your way into conversations, brag heavily about your accomplishments, not listen to others, and basically think you know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. It's comical.

Often times while this is happening, I enjoy just kicking back and observing it all unfold. I stay quiet and watch others. They say that 80% of our body language is non verbal. This I believe. Unintended eye rolls, sighs and clock watching is not usual while all the holy-moly bologna swirls in the air like a Harry Potter spell.

Two days ago, a coworker of mine found this Hercules Rhino Beetle in the parking lot around the street. She was so proud of her find. She brought it back into the office. Cupped in the palm of her hand, she proudly went from office to office displaying her new find. She was acting childlike and from a 50-something, it was totally refreshing. I smiled when she came into my office and asked me if I wanted to touch her find. "It's so soft. Just touch it." "It smells like a Stink Bug," is what I was thinking. The beetle did not look real. It was dead but maintained it's perfect shape and shiny shell. "Unbelievable," was what I said. "It's perfect!"

"Just perfect." But I didn't just mean the dead beetle. Perfect was her reaction to the find. As if she was a two year old discovering a hidden plastic Easter egg in August. She showed us all her true side; her curiosity with Mother Nature who can be so surprising and beautiful. She didn't care what we thought of her parading a dead beetle around the office as if it's her turn at show and tell. She just didn't care and I loved that.

Savor the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment