Friday, July 22, 2011

A Quick Bite

Lunch at Panera. I love their salads and I usually head there later in the day so I miss the rush. There's a very nice woman that works there. She's chatty, funny and knows me by name. It's nice to get out of the office and go somewhere where the food is good and people know you.

I quickly munched away. A last minute rush job waiting for me back at the office didn't leave me with much time for lunch. Happy though because supper involved friends and pizza, who cares if lunch is short and salad.

I took note of the people surrounding me; an older gentleman with his 3pm coffee, a 40 something dad on his earpiece chatting away while his pre-teen son sat in front of him - totally bored, three friends who had never been to Panera and took an unusually long time to decide what they were going to eat while I patiently waited behind them, a casually dressed business man (a banker I would guess) eating at the table directly in front of me.

I brought with me the local, small town paper that was in my car. Skimming through it reminded me of the paper I grew up reading. There was usually someone mentioned that I knew in it. After 15 years here in the south, I rarely know anyone in this paper.

I glanced up to take inventory again. The 40 something dad was off the phone and asking his son to "promise" to do something. The older gentleman was lost in thought with his coffee. I caught his eye and he smiled at me. A kind smile and a reminder of why I love the south. The new customers were nodding and enjoying their lunch. And the casual business man was gone. Mostly. He left his plates on the table. I wondered what makes someone think it's just fine to leave their mess on the table and expect another to pick up after them? There are clearly garbage containers in the restaurant. I bet his wife picks up after him at home. Maybe his mama never taught him manners? Maybe he's been called back to the perform life-saving surgery? Maybe he's Superman? Who knows...

I quickly finished up and dutifully stacked my plate, silverware, and bowl by the garbage. No one would be picking up my mess. I'm perfectly capable and really grateful that my life isn't not so rushed that I can't do this small task.

Savor the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment