Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life."-Arthur Ashe


Here at my work, we can donate our own earned sick leave hours to others who have used up their own hours. When the email goes out from HR saying that someone needs hours it only says how many hours they are requesting - nothing more. Others never know the reason - just that they need hours or they will go without pay until the "borrowed" hours are worked.

I read in today's employee emails that someone I know needed 90 hours of sick leave. I don't know this individual personally but have always enjoyed working with him professionally. He's very laid back and goes out of his way to make my job easier. So, I filed out the paperwork took it to HR and sent this quick email off so he could look for the donated hours to appear as his sick leave.

Here's the transcript:
------------------------------------------

Hi Tim,

I've donated 10 hr of sick leave to you. It's not a lot but I hope it helps.

–Chris

------------------------------------------

Thank you! My son drowned a few weeks ago at a resort in Orlando. We're lucky that there was a nurse and doctor at the pool who gave him CPR and the hospital helicopter was flying over the resort. They didn't think he would make it and brain damage was a concern. He is back to himself and his brain is good. We are running test at Duke to find out what caused this. He is a great swimmer for a 9 year old and this happened in 3 feet of water. Thank you for your help.

–Timothy

------------------------------------------

Tim,

I couldn't read your email without shedding a tear; how unbelievably traumatic. I had no idea. Hang in there. I pray they find the cause so you don't ever have to wonder.

–Chris

------------------------------------------

I heard something much, much bigger than what was in this short series of emails today. I heard the Holy Spirit speak to me. The message was: help someone whenever you can and remember what's important.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a sweet heart, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Tim, and he is a well deserved recepient of your gracious gift.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete